Monday, January 31, 2005

The Secret Swing

Head down Queen Street, a little west of Spadina, then east on Augusta. Go through the back alley covered with colourful graffiti until you see two buildings with a wrought-iron gate in between and step around the garbage and broken beer bottles. Then sit down, lean back, and detach yourself from your daily burdens.
This is the swing set up in an unsuspecting alleyway in the heart of one of Toronto's best known graffiti galleries, the Queen Street Alleys. The strategically hidden swing's whereabouts leaked when web bloggers (heh) began to post information about this unique urban playpen after Toronto artist Corwyn Lund, working in unison with many other street artists, created it last year.
I was brainstorming ideas for a provincial art contest I was entering through my school when I made a visit to the swing. It was perfect...artsy, urban, provocative, and really made a statement... so I convinced my good friend Jenelle to skip school one day and trek downtown with my tripod and Canon Powershot S1 IS and snapped away while she literally froze her ass off in the chilly November weather. I decided to submit the top one, and it won me the honorable mention prize. whooohooo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home